Aplasia cutis congenita: Uncommon ﬁnding of two cases occurring in one patient in two successive deliveries.
Oriji Peter Chibuzor1, Afolabi Stephen Adeniyi1, Omietimi James Enimi1, Allagoa Dennis1, Doni Doni Paul1, Ozori Stanley Ebiogbo1, Makinde Olakunle Ifeoluwa1, Obagah Lukman1, Tekenah Ebiye Serena1, Ikoro Chima1, Mbah Kanayochukwu Michael1, Suobite Ephraim1, Gregory Frances2
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
2Department of Paediatrics, Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Oriji, Peter Chibuzor; +234 706 423 3209; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Aplasia cutis congenita is a heterogenous group of disorders characterised by the absence of a portion of skin, with or without the absence of underlying structures such as bone, in a localized or widespread area at birth.
Case presentation: An uncommon case of delivery of a female baby with aplasia cutis congenita occurring in a patient who had a female baby with aplasia cutis congenita in her immediate past conﬁnement. Both babies died within one week of delivery from suspected congenital cardiac abnormality.
Conclusion: Aplasia cutis congenita is an uncommon congenital abnormality, often times with good prognosis. It has a poor prognosis when there are other congenital abnormalities associated with it.
Keywords: Aplasia cutis congenita, Congenital cardiac abnormality, Prognosis.
Cite this article: Oriji PC, Afolabi SA, Omietimi JE, Allagoa D, Doni Doni P, Ozori SE, et al. Aplasia cutis congenita: Uncommon ﬁnding of two cases occurring in one patient in two successive deliveries. Yen Med J. 2019;1(1):61-65.
- Caksen H, Kurtoglu S. Our experience with aplasia cutis J Dermatol. 2002;29(6):376–379.
- Buchel T, Devaul W, Frey Photo Quiz: Newborn with a Scalp Lesion. Am Fam Physician. 2005;72(8):1589–1571.
- Wan J. Aplasia Cutis Congenita. Medscape. Available from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1110134-overview. Updated June 16, 2018. Accessed June 18, 2019.
- Duan X, Yang G, Yu D, Yu C, Wang B, Guo Aplasia cutis congenita: A case report and literature review. Exp Ther Med. 2015;10(5):1893–1895.
- Ngan V. Aplasia cutis. DermNet NZ website. Available from: http://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/aplasia-cutis/. Updated November, 2017. Accessed June 18, 2019.