Assessment and awareness of preventive measures against Hepatitis B among young graduates in Bayelsa State NYSC orientation camp in Kaiama, Bayelsa State: A descriptive cross–sectional study.

Davids KI1*, Oyeyemi AS2, Mariere UI1
1Department of Community Medicine and Public Health, Federal Medical Centre Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
2Department of Community Medicine, Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital, Okolobiri, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Davids Kellybest Ibasimama; +234 8063263545; kelbestdav@yahoo.com

Download full article in pdf format

Abstract

Background: Despite the fact that the Hepatitis B virus is so virulent and with a high rate of infectivity, many young people are still exposed to risk factors simply because they are not aware of possible modes of transmission. Young graduates are exposed to various habits and risks of contracting Hepatis B Virus infection during their stay in the tertiary institutions.
Objective: To assess exposure to risk factors of HBV infection and determine awareness of preventive measures against Hepatis B infection among young university graduates at the NYSC Orientation Camp in Kaiama, Bayelsa State.
Materials and Methods: A descriptive cross–sectional study design was used. Sample size was 148. An online self-administered structured questionnaire administered using a google online form was utilised. It contained both open and closed questions. Data was analysed using the Statistical Package for Social Science (SPSS) version 23.0. The data was summarised using descriptive statistics of mean, standard deviations and percentages for socio-demographic characteristics.
Results: Mean age was 25.39 years and ranged from 20 to 31years, Males (79, 53.4%) female (69, 46.6%). About 74(50%) of respondents were not aware about any form of preventive measures while about 74(50%) knew of abstinence, use of PPEs, regular screening, vaccina on, avoiding use of contaminated sharps and body fluids. 72.4% of the respondents were exposed to one form of risk factor or the other, and only 27.6% of the respondents reported not being obviously exposed to any of the assessed risk factors. There was no association between having a health science professional background and awareness of preventive measures.

Keywords: Risk assessment, NYSC Orientation camp, Hepatitis B, prevention.

Cite this article: Davids KI, Oyeyemi AS, Mariere UI. Risk Assessment and awareness of preventive measures against Hepatitis B among young graduates in Bayelsa State NYSC orientation camp in Kaiama, Bayelsa State: A descriptive cross–sectional study. Yen Med J. 2019;1(1):1-9.

REFERENCES

  1. Liang Hepatitis B: the virus and disease. Hepatol. 2009;49(5 Suppl):S1–S21. doi:10.1002/hep.22881.
  2. Lee C, Gong Y, Brok J, Boxall Hepatitis B immunization for newborn infants of Hepatitis B surface antigen-positive mothers. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;(2):CD004790. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD004790.pub2.
  3. Yang S, Wang D, Zhang Y, Yu C, Ren J, Xu K, et Transmission of Hepatitis B and C Virus Infection Through Body Piercing: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Medicine. 2015;94(47):e1893. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000001893.
  4. World Health Hepatitis B. World Health Organisation website. Available from: http://www.who.inf/inf-s/en/fact204.html. Accessed June 10, 2019.
  5. Bwogi J, Braka F, Makumbi I, Mishra V, Bakamutumaho B, Nanyunja M, et Hepatitis B infection is highly endemic in Uganda: findings from a national sero-survey. Afr Health Sci. 2009;9(2):98–108.
  6. Barlett J, Kotrlik J, Higgins C. Organisational Research: Determining Appropriate Sample size in survey research. Info Tech Learning Performance 2001;19(1):43–50.
  7. Olayinka AT, Oyemakinde A, Balogun MS, Ajudua A, Nguku P, Aderinola M, et al. Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B Infection in Nigeria: A National Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016;95(4):902–907.
  8. Eredoro CO, Egbochuku Awareness and Opinions about Hepatitis B among Secondary School Teachers in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, Nigeria. Health Sci J. 2017;11(5):530–535.
  9. Chingla MP, Osagie IA, Adam Risk perception of hepatitis B infection and uptake of Hepatitis B vaccine among students of tertiary institution in Jos. Jos Ann Afr Med. 2017;16:59–64.
  10. Rathi A, Kumar V, Majhi J, Jain S, Lal P, Singh S. Assessment of knowledge, attitude and practice towards prevention of hepatitis B infection among medical students in a high risk setting of a newly established medical school. J lab Physician. 2018;10(4):374–379.
  11. Atiba BP, Ajao KO, Babalola RN, Awosusi AE, Ayeni OO, Ijadunola Hepatitis B Virus infection and its modes of prevention among clinical students of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Afri J Med Med Sci. 2014;43:31–37.
Scroll to Top
× Chat