Bilateral dermoid cyst of the ovary: A case report.
Njoku C1,2, Oriji PC1*, Afolabi AS1,2, Kuete E1
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Gloryland Medical Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Oriji, Peter Chibuzor; +234 706 423 3209; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Dermoid cysts are benign germ cell tumours which make up to 10 – 25% of all ovarian tumours, and are bilateral in 10 – 15% of cases. They are usually found in women of reproductive age-group but can also be found in post-menopausal women, and are usually asymptomatic.
Case presentation: She was a 38-year-old P3+0 (with two living children), who presented to the gynaecological clinic of the Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa with six-month history of abdominal mass and one-week history of lower abdominal pain. She was investigated; subsequently had exploratory laparotomy with bilateral salpingo-ovariectomy and followed up for one year.
Conclusion: Ovarian tumours usually present with non-specific symptoms. Early recognition of a Dermoid cyst and intervention are necessary to avoid potential complications.
Keywords: Dermoid cyst, Germ cell tumours, Salpingo-ovariectomy.
Cite this article: Njoku C, Oriji PC, Afolabi AS, Kuete E. Bilateral dermoid cyst of the ovary: A case report. Yen Med J. 2020;2(1):190–192.
- Kamel RM. A massive ovarian mucinous cystadenoma; a case report. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2010;8(1):24–25.
- Srikanth S, Anandam G. Bilateral dermoid cyst of ovary. Med J DY Patil Univ. 2014;7(4):492–493.
- Kim MJ, Kim NY, Lee DY, Yoon BK, Choi D: Clinical characteristics of ovarian teratoma: age-focused retrospective analysis of 580 cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;205:e1–e32.
- Harding MJ, Paul J, Gillis CR, Kaye SB: Management of malignant teratoma: does referral to a specialist unit matter? Lancet. 1993;341:999–1002.
- Hakim MM, Abraham SM. Bilateral dermoid ovarian cyst in an adolescent girl. BMJ Case Rep. 2014;2014:bcr2014205236. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25012889/. Accessed November 10, 2019.
- Laberge PY, Levesque S: Short-term morbidity and long-term recurrence rate of ovarian dermoid cysts treated by laparoscopy versus laparotomy. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2006;28:789–793.
- Seracchioli R, Venturoli S, Colombo FM, Govoni F, Missiroli S, Bagnoli A. Fertility and tumour recurrence rate after conservative laparoscopic management of young women with early-stage borderline ovarian tumors. Fertil Steril. 2001;76:999–1004