Breast cancer with metastasis to the parotid gland in a postmenopausal Nigerian woman
Nwabuoku SE1, Luwa PSA2, Daniyan M1, Abur PP1, Yusufu LMD1, Adogu I3
1Department of Surgery, Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria.
2Department of Surgery, Rasheed Shekoni Teaching Hospital, Dutse, Jigawa State, Nigeria.
3Department of Pathology, Rasheed Shekoni Teaching Hospital, Dutse, Jigawa State, Nigeria.
Correspondence: Dr. Stanley E. Nwabuoku; +234 813 292 6223; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: A significant proportion of women with breast cancer still develop metastasis within 5 to 10 years of diagnosis. Distant metastasis to the parotid gland is very rare but have been reported from primaries in the lungs, kidneys and breasts. Between 1982 and 2018, the authors are aware of only 22 reported cases in the literature worldwide.
Case presentation: We present the case below of a 62-year-old woman with breast cancer, metastasis to the contralateral parotid gland and paraplegia. The patient refused treatment and eventually discharged herself against medical advice.
Conclusion: A parotid swelling in any patient with a malignancy should prompt the attending doctor to thoroughly assess the patient, preferably assuming it is a metastatic lesion until proven otherwise. Subsequent treatment is basically palliative but should include radiological tumour staging, tumour resection and adjuvant therapy.
Keywords: Parotid gland, Metastasis, Breast cancer.
Yen Med J. 2020;2(3):29–31.
Cite this article: Nwabuoku SE, Luwa PSA, Daniyan M, Abur PP, Yusufu LMD, Adogu I. Breast cancer with metastasis to the parotid gland in a postmenopausal Nigerian woman. Yen Med J. 2020;2(3):29–31.
- Adebamowo CA, Ajayi OO. Breast cancer in Nigeria. West Afr J Med. 2000;19(3):179-191.
- World Health Organisation Cancer factsheet 2009. World Health Organisation. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/index.html Accessed August 18 2016.
- Khurana R AM. An unusual case of solitary parotid metastasis from early stage breast carcinoma. Clin Cancer Investig J. 2016;5(1):250–252.
- Adesunkanmi ARK, Lawal OO, Durosimi MA. The severity, outcome and challenges of breast cancer in Nigeria. The Breast. 2006;15(3):399–409.
- Nggada HA, Yawe KT, Abdulazeez J, Khalil MA. Breast cancer burden in Maiduguri, north eastern Nigeria. Breast J. 2008;14(3):284–286.
- Ando K, Masumoto N, Sakamoto M, Teraoka K, Suzuki T, Kurihara T, et al. Parotid gland metastasis of breast cancer: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Breast Care. 2011;6(6):471–473.
- Kmeid M, Kamar FG, Nasser S, Moukarzel N. Metachronous, Single Metastasis to the Parotid, from Primary Breast Cancer: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2015;2016(1):396–400.
- Cao X, Cong B, Yu Z. Parotid gland metastasis from carcinoma of the breast detected by PET/CT: Case report and review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97(21):101–109.
- Rawet T, Jegannathen A, Soumian. Parotid gland: an unusual site of breast cancer metastasis. BMJ Case Rep. 2017;10(1):113–116.
- Nuyens M, Schupbach J, Stauffer E, Zbaren P. Metastatic Disease to the Parotid Gland. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;133(1):173-179.
- Dangore-Khasbage SB, Degwekar SS, Bhowate RR, Bhake A. Metastatic involvement of parotid from carcinoma of the breast—A case report. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;13(1):49–53.
- Duncan M, Monteiro M, Quante M. Bilateral parotid gland metastases from carcinoma of the breast that presented 25 years after initial treatment. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;53(1):94–96.