Combating fake news on Covid-19 in Africa: Is punitive measure the best strategy?
Kehinde Kazeem Kanmodi1,2,3,4,5*
1Department of Political Science, National Open University of Nigeria, Birnin Kebbi, Nigeria.
2National Teachers’ Institute, Birnin Kebbi, Nigeria.
3Cephas Health Research Initiative Inc, Ibadan, Nigeria.
4Mental and Oral Health Development Organization Inc, Birnin Kebbi, Nigeria.
5Department of Community Health, Aminu Musa Habib College of Health Science and Technology, Yauri, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Kehinde Kazeem Kanmodi; +234 703 232 9156; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Keywords: Fake news, Covid-19, Africa, Punitive measures, Strategy.
Yen Med J. 2020;2(3):3–4.
Cite this article: Kanmodi KK. Combating fake news on COVID-19 in Africa: Is punitive measure the best strategy? Yen Med J. 2020;2(3):3–4.
- Wemple E. Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg says people don’t want ‘hoax’ news. Really? The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2016/12/08/facebooks-sheryl-sandberg-says-people-dont-want-hoax-news-really/. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- Hillary Clinton warns about hoax news on social media. CBS Baltimore. https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/12/09/hillary-clinton-warns-about-hoax-news-on-social-media/. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- What is fake news? How to spot it and what you can do to stop it. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/dec/18/what-is-fake-news-pizzagate. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- Fake news: an insidious trend that’s fast becoming a global problem. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/dec/02/fake-news-facebook-us-election-around-the-world. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- The other COVID-19 pandemic: Fake news. African Arguments. https://africanarguments.org/2020/03/26/the-other-covid-19-pandemic-fake-news/. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- Nigerians storm Senate, reject anti-social media bill. Punch. https://punchng.com/nigerians-storm-senate-reject-anti-social-media-bill/. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- Elections and media in digital times. UNESCO. https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/in_focus_world_trends_report_2019_brochure_final_2.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- Fenollar F, Mediannikov O. Emerging infectious diseases in Africa in the 21st century. New Microbes New Infect. 2018;26:S10-S18. doi: 10.1016/j.nmni.2018.09.004.
- Coronavirus in Africa: 42,769 cases; 1,759 deaths; 14,129. Africanews. https://www.africanews.com/2020/05/04/coronavirus-in-africa-breakdown-of-infected-virus-free-countries/. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- Mackenzie JS, Smith DW. COVID-19: a novel zoonotic disease caused by a coronavirus from China: what we know and what we don’t. Microbiol Aust. 2020:MA20013. doi: 10.1071/MA20013.
- A second COVID-19 case is confirmed in Africa. WHO Africa. https://www.afro.who.int/news/second-covid-19-case-confirmed-africa. Accessed May 4, 2020. Statcounter. Social media stats Africa: April 2019 – April 2020. https://gs.statcounter.com/social-media-stats/all/africa. Accessed May 4, 2020.