Dental patients’ compliance with post-extraction instructions at a Secondary Health Care Facility in Nigeria.
Omorodion GI1, Osadolor AJ2*
1Department of Family Dentistry, Dental Centre, Central Hospital Benin, Edo State, Nigeria.
2Department of Dentistry, Central Hospital Oleh, Delta State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Osadolor AJ; +234 701 391 9301; firstname.lastname@example.org
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Compliance with post-extraction instructions and adequate patient education after oral surgical procedures can improve patient satisfaction and decrease post-operative morbidity.
Objective: To determine the compliance with post-extraction instructions among dental patients presenting at a secondary healthcare facility in Nigeria.
Materials and Methods: A prospective study of dental patients, who presented at the Dental department, Central Hospital Benin, Edo State, Nigeria, was done between September 2019 and June 2020. An interviewer-administered questionnaire was used to collect data on compliance with post-extraction instructions, and to clinically assess the extraction socket. Categorical data were expressed as frequencies and percentages. Mean percentage compliance was expressed as poor: < 50%, fair: 50% – 69.99%, good: ≥ 70%.
Results: A total of 218 participants were recruited for this study; however, 88 patients presented at the review appointment date giving a response rate of 40.4%. Participants comprised 37 males and 51 females, all receiving instructions via the verbal route. The overall mean percentage compliance of the respondents was 90.7%, and the incidence of alveolar osteitis was 1.1%. Satisfaction with the treatment given was excellent.
Conclusion: This study showed excellent compliance with post-extraction instructions; the mean percentage compliance among respondents was good. A low incidence of localised alveolar osteitis was recorded with a predilection for the maxillary jaw and the female sex.
Keywords: Compliance, Dental patients, Post-extraction instructions.
Cite this article: Omorodion GI, Osadolor AJ. Dental patients’ compliance with post-extraction instructions at a Secondary Health Care Facility in Nigeria. Yen Med J. 2021;3(3):158–165.
- Akinbami BO, Godspower T. Dry socket: incidence, clinical features, and predisposing factors. Int J Dent. 2014;2014:796102. doi:10.1155/2014/796102.
- Alexander RE. Patients’ understanding of post-surgical instruction forms. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 1999;89:153-158.
- Adebayo ET, Dairo M. Patients` compliance with instructions after oral surgery in Nigeria. J Community Med Pri Health Care. 2005;17(1):38-44.
- Alsaleh MK, Alajlan SS, Alateeq NF, Alamer NS, Alshammary F, Alhobeira HA, et al. Alveolar Osteitis: Patient’s Compliance with Post-extraction Instructions Following Permanent Teeth Extraction. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2018;19(12):1518-1525.
- Gheisari R, Resalati F, Mahmoudi S, Golkari A, Mosaddad SA. Do Different Modes of Delivering Post-operative Instructions to Patients Help Reduce the Side Effects of Tooth Extraction? A Randomised Clinical Trial. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018;78(8):1652.e1-e7.
- Akpata O, Omoregie O F, Owotade F. Alveolar Osteitis: Patients’ compliance to post-extraction instructions following extraction of molar teeth. Niger Med J. 2013;54(5):335-338.
- Faheem S. Patients Compliance and Follow-Up Rate after Tooth Extraction. IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2017;16(5):115-120.
- Araoye O. Research methodology with statistics for health and social sciences. 2nd Ilorin, Nigeria: Nathadex publishers; 2004.
- Alvira-González J, Gay-Escoda C. Compliance of postoperative instructions following the surgical extraction of impacted lower third molars: a randomized clinical trial. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2015;20(2):e224-e230.
- Osunde OD, Bassey GO, Anyanechi CE. Warm saline mouth rinse instructions after dental extractions: How well do patients comply? J Med Trop. 2016;18:337.
- Alam MA, Uddin MW, Ali MN, Anwar HB, Bhuiyan MAA, Rahman QB. Relationship of tobacco smoking with Alveolar osteitis after tooth extraction. Bangladesh Dent J. 2016; 32(2): 88-95.
- Khan AH. Prevalence and Association of Dry Socket in Oral Health and Dental Management. Oral Health Dent Manag. 2017;16(4):1-6.