Disease profile among the elderly in a rural community in Nigeria.
Ikpae BE1, Amadi ES2,3*
1Department of Accident and Emergency, University of Port Harcourt, Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.
2Department of Internal Medicine (Dermatology Unit), Rivers State University, Nkpolu-Oroworukwo, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.
3Department of Internal Medicine, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Ekechi Stella Amadi; ekechiamadi @yahoo.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Worldwide, the population of the elderly is steadily increasing even in the rural areas. There is paucity of data with regards to the prevalent diseases that affect the elderly in rural communities particularly in Nigeria.
Objective: To determine the disease profile of the elderly in a rural community.
Materials and Methods: This was a cross-sectional descriptive study of the elderly in Wiyaakara, a rural community in Rivers State, Nigeria, who were among the participants in a one-day medical outreach carried out in the community.
Result: The elderly (age ≥ 60 years old) were 12.1% (37) of the participants at the rural medical outreach. There were more males 56.8% (21) than females 43.2% (16) among the elderly. Majority of the elderly were in social class V, mainly consisting of farmers and fishermen. Hypertension (51.3%) was the major chronic disorder seen among them, with males and females almost equally affected. Prehypertension was found in 37.8% of them. Most (n=23) of the elderly had a normal BMI. Other prevalent health conditions seen among them were presbyopia and cataracts. About 13% of the elderly had no acute or chronic medical illness at the time of this survey.
Conclusion: The major cause of ill health among the elderly population surveyed in this rural community was hypertension. A quarter of the elderly population were also in the prehypertension phase. Health care for the elderly in rural areas need to be improved including specialist care.
Keywords: Elderly, Health, Hypertension, Older, Rural
Cite this article: Ikpae BE, Amadi ES. Disease profile among the elderly in a rural community in Nigeria. Yen Med J. 2021;3(4):212–219.
- Our World in Data. Number of people living in rural and urban areas, World 1960-2017. Available from: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/urban-and-rural-population?country=~OWID_WRL. Accessed April 11, 2021.
- World Health Organization. Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health And Ageing. Available from: https://www.who.int/data/maternal-newborn-child-adolescent-ageing/indicator-explorer-new/mca/percentage-of-older-people-aged-60-or-over-living-in-rural-and-urban-areas. Accessed April 11, 2021.
- Smith A, Trevelyan E. Older Population in rural America. Available at https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/10/older-population-in-rural-america. Accessed April 11, 2021.
- Baernholdt M, Yen G, Hinton I, Rose K, Mattos. Quality of life in Rural and Urban Adults 65 years and older; Findings from National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Rural Health. 2012;28(4):339-347.
- Coburn A, Boida E. Rural elders and long-term care. West J Med. 2001;174(3):209–213.
- Bell-Gam HI, Amadi ES. Perception And Attitude of Doctors on Ageing, Old Age And Geriatric Care In Rivers State Nigeria, Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342281972_Perception_And_Attitude_of_Doctors_on_Ageing_Old_Age_and_Geriatric_Care_in_Rivers_State_Nigeria. Accessed April 15, 2021.
- Kun L, Limei J, Xuhong Z, Yao H, Li W, Xiaoming S. The health brain-drain in rural areas about the health personnel incentive policy intervention in Shanghai: a longitudinal study. Lancet. 2016;388(S44). Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)31971-7/fulltext. Accessed April 15, 2021.
- Artz G. Rural Brain Drain, Is it a reality. Available from: https://www.choicesmagazine.org/2003-4/2003-4-03.htm. Accessed April 15, 2021.
- ANPA-Association of Nigerian Physicians in the Americas. Kidnapping of Nigerian Doctors is a Public Health Crisis, says ANPA Members. Available from: https://anpa.org/2010/09/27/kidnapping-of-nigerian-doctors-is-a-public-health-crisis-says-anpa-members/. Accessed April 15, 2021.
- Adebowole S, Atte O. Ayeni O. Elderly Well-being in a Rural Community, North Central, Nigeria. Public Health Res. 2012;2(4):92-10111.
- Rivers (State, Nigeria) with population statistics, charts, map and location. City population. Available from: https://www.citypopulation.de/php/nigeria-admin.php?adm1id=NGA033. Accessed April 15, 2021.
- Roberts K. Dealignment: Class in Britain and Class in British Sociology Since 1945. Societies. 2020;10(4):79. doi:10.3390/soc10040079.
- Audu O, Ara IS, Umar AA, Omole VN, Avidime S. “Sociodemographic Correlates of Choice of Health Care Services in Six Rural Communities in North Central Nigeria”. Adv Public Health. 2014. 2014;Article ID 651086.
- Chuhwak EK, Okeahialam BN, Ogbonna C, Pam SD. Diabetes in elderly Nigerians: A survey of a rural area in north-central Nigeria. J Med Trop. 2019;21:51-55.
- Wokoma, FS, Alasia, DD. Blood Pressure Pattern in Barako – A Rural Community in Rivers State, Nigeria. Nig Health J. 2011;11(1/1):8-13.
- Bell-Gam HI, Bouwari YO. Blood Pressure Pattern In A Nigerian Rural Community, A Pilot Study. Available from: https://www.gazetteofmedicine.com/publications. Accessed April 17, 2021.
- Animasahun VJ, Chapman HJ. Psychosocial health challenges of the elderly in Nigeria: a narrative review. Afr Health Sci. 2017;17(2):575–583.
- Ibitoye O, Sanuade O, Adebowale O, Ayeni O. The determinants of health care utilization among the elderly in a Rural Community in Northern Nigeria. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265602158_The_Determinants_of_Health_Care_Utilization_among_the_Elderly_in_a_Rural_Community_in_Northern_Nigeria. Accessed April 15, 2021.
- Lee SB, Oh JH, Park JH, Choi SP, Wee JH. Differences in youngest-old, middle-old, and oldest-old patients who visit the emergency department. Clin Exp Emerg Med. 2018;5(4):249-255.
- Ekpeyong S. Oyeneye O, Peil M. Health Problems of Elderly Nigerians. Soc Sci Med. 1987; 24(10):885-888.
- Abdulraheem S, Oladipo AR, Amodu MO. Prevalence and Correlates of Physical Disability and Functional Limitation among Elderly Rural Population in Nigeria. Available from: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jar/2011/369894/. Accessed April 17, 2021.
- Nigeria: Total population from 2010-2020 by gender. Available from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/967908/total-population-of-nigeria-by-gender/. Accessed April 17, 2021.
- Wokoma FS. Casual blood pressure measurement in a rural Community (Okoboh) in the Abua-Odual LGA of Rivers State during a Rotary eye camp. Nig Health J. 2007;7(1/2):434-440.
- Adeboye M, Adegboye O, Abdulkarim A, Eze E. Amulets, Bands and Other Traditional Applications seen among Emergency and Neonatal Pediatric Admissions in a Tertiary Centre, Nigeria. Oman Med J. 2011;26(5):337-341. doi:10.5001/omj.2011.83.
- Oyedeji GA. Socio-economic and cultural background of hospitalized children in Ilesha. Niger J Paediatr. 1985;12(4):11-117.
- Revise sociology. Social class- An introduction to the concept. Available from: https://revisesociology.com/2016/08/04/social-class-definition-introduction/. Accessed April 17, 2021.
- Mezie-Okoye M. Diabetes in the older adults: experience from a rural community in South East Nigeria. African J Diabetes Med. 2013;21(2):45-48.
- Ford E, Merrit K, Heath W, Powell K, Washburn R, Kriska A, Haile G. Physical activity behaviors in lower and higher socio-economic status populations. Am J Epidemiol. 1991;133(12):1246-1256.
- Kumar V, Acanfora M, Hennesy A, Kalache, A. Health Status of the Rural Elderly. J Rural Health. 2001;17(4):328-331.
- Alikor CA, Nwafor CE. The prevalence and predictors of generalized obesity in a rural farming community in the Niger Delta Region of Nigeria. Available from: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/nhj/article/view/149494/138997. Accessed April 18, 2021.
- Trivedi T, Liu J, Probst J, Merchant A, Martin A. Obesity and obesity- related behaviours among rural and urban adults in the USA. Rural Remote health. 2015;15(4):3267.
- Wokoma FS, Nwokocha CG, Aliu OR, Okuru G. Blindness and visual impairment in Okoboh, a rural community in the Abua/Odual Local Government Area of Rivers State-findings from a one-day Rotary eye camp. Port Harcourt Med J. 2008;3(1):77-84. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299762529_Blindness_and_visual_impairment_in_Okoboh_a_rural_community_in_the_AbuaOdual_Local_Government_Area_of_Rivers_State-findings_from_a_one-day_Rotary_eye_camp. Accessed April 18, 2021.
- Wokoma FS, Ichenwo T. Pattern Of Eye Disorders In Ogbodo: A Rural Community In Rivers State. Niger Health J. 2011;11(1):14-18.
- Fafowora OF Osuntokun OO. Age-related eye disease in the elderly members of rural African community. East Afr Med J. 1997;74(7):435-437.
- Okeigbemen SA, Nnawuihe CU. Oral health trends and service utilization at a rural outreach dental clinic, Udo, Southern Nigeria. J Int Soc Prevent Communit Dent. 2015;5, Suppl S2:118-122.
- Osadolorr O, Akaji EA, Otakhoigbogie U, et al. Dental Service Utilization of a Rural Population in Nigeria, Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335392967_Dental_Service_Utilization_of_a_Rural_Population_in_Nigeria. Accessed April 18, 2021.
- Okafor PI, Sumaila FG, Mohammed J, et al. Assessment of Functional and Musculoskeletal Problems and Barriers to Obtaining Physiotherapy Services Among the Elderly in a Rural Community in Kano State, Nigeria. AJPARS. 2015;7(1 & 2):1-6.
- Omokhodion FO. Low back pain in a rural community in South West Nigeria. West Afr J Med. 2002;21(2):87-90.
- Holcombe C. Aetiology and Management of Dyspepsia in Africa. Trop Doct. 1991;21:107–112.
- Akinkugbe AO, Amira OC, Ozoh OB, et al. Pattern Of Skin Disorders In A Rural Community In Southwest Nigeria. Niger Health J. 2016;16(2):1-15.
- Fayehun OA, Salami KK. Older persons and malaria treatment in Nigeria. Afr Pop Stud. 2014;27(2):424-433.
- Nzeagwu OC. Evaluation of Nutritional Status Using Anthropometry and Biochemical Indices of Community Dwelling Older Persons in Nigeria. Curr Res Nutr Food Sci. 2016;4(Special Issue Elderly October 2016)