Infant mortality among black babies
Ekemini Hogan1, Obasi Okorie2, Utibe Effiong3*
1University of Uyo Teaching Hospital, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
2King Abdulaziz Specialist Hospital, Sakaka, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
3Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Michigan, USA.
*Correspondence: Dr. Utibe Effiong; +1 (734) 489-2608; firstname.lastname@example.org
Download full article in pdf format
Keywords: Infant mortality, Maternal health, Infant health, Developing countries, Sub-Saharan Africa.
Yen Med J. 2020;2(4):12 – 14.
Cite this article: Hogan E, Okorie O, Effiong U. Infant mortality among black babies. Yen Med J. 2020;2(4):12 – 14.
- Child mortality. UNICEF Data. Available from: https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/under-five-mortality/. Accessed July 5, 2020.
- World Health Organization. Global Reference List of 100 Core Health Indicators, 2015: Metadata. Available from: https://www.who.int/healthinfo/indicators/2015/metadata/en/. Accessed July 12, 2020.
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Infant Mortality. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/infantmortality.htm. Accessed July 20, 2020.
- Driscoll AK, Ely DM. Effects of Changes in Maternal Age Distribution and Maternal Age-specific Infant Mortality Rates on Infant Mortality Trends: United States, 2000-2017. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2020;69(5):1-18.
- UNICEF, WHO, World Bank, UN-DESA Population Division. Levels and trends in child mortality report 2019. World Health Organization. Available from: https://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/levels_trends_child_mortality_2019/en/. Accessed July 20, 2020.
- Vakili R, Khademi G, Vakili S, Saeidi M. Child mortality at different world regions: A comparison review. Int J Pediatr. 2015;3(4):2.
- Ashworth A, Waterlow JC. Infant mortality in developing countries. Arch Dis Child. 1982;57(11):882-884.
- S Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health. Infant Mortality and African Americans. Available from: https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=4&lvlid=23. Accessed July 20, 2020.
- El-Sayed AM, Finkton DW Jr, Paczkowski M, Keyes KM, Galea S. Socioeconomic position, health behaviors, and racial disparities in cause-specific infant mortality in Michigan, USA. Prev Med. 2015;76:8-13.
- Wise PH, Pursley DM. Infant mortality as a social mirror. N Engl J Med. 1992;326(23):1558-1560.
- Eberstein IW, Parker JR. Racial differences in infant mortality by cause of death: the impact of birth weight and maternal age. Demography. 1984;21(3):309-321.
- Schoendorf KC, Hogue CJ, Kleinman JC, Rowley D. Mortality among infants of black as compared with white college-educated parents. N Engl J Med. 1992;326(23):1522-1526.
- Kitsantas P, Gaffney KF. Racial/ethnic disparities in infant mortality. J Perinat Med. 2010;38(1):87-94