Mentoring: a survey of Resident Doctors in a developing Country.
Buowari DY1*, Ebirim LN2
1Department of Accident and Emergency, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Nigeria.
2Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Dabota Yvonne Buowari; +234 803 732 4401; firstname.lastname@example.org
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Mentoring is important in medicine as it cats as a guide for the mentee to follow. Formal mentoring programme is abstract in most developing countries.
Objective: To determine the importance of a formal mentoring programme of resident doctors in a developing country.
Materials and Method: This is a descriptive cross-sectional descriptive study using an 11 item semi structured questionnaire conducted in Nigeria among resident doctors.
Results: Only 36.55% (53) of respondents had mentors. Those without mentors 74 (8.43%) would love to have mentors. A greater number of respondents 89.66% (130) felt there is need for a formal mentoring programme as there are many advantages. About 77 (83.70%) would like to choose their mentor than been assigned one. about 87.59% (27) agreed that there is need for a formal mentoring programme. Resident doctors with mentors communicated with them face to face, via phone calls and emails.
Conclusion: There is a poor mentoring programme of Nigerian resident doctors.
Keywords: Mentoring, Mentor, Mentee, Resident Doctors
Cite this article: Olufadewa II, Adesina MA, Oladele RI. Review of Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) Curriculum of West African Countries against the Standard CSE Curriculum: Any Existing Literature? Yen Med J. 2020;2(4):90 – 94.
- Frei E, Stamm M, Buddeberg-Fischer B. Mentoring programs for medical students – a review of the pubmed literature. BMC Educ. 2010;10(32):2-14.
- Andrades M, Bhanji S, Valliant M, Majeed F, Pinjani SK. Effectiveness of a formal mentorship program in family medicine residency: the residents’ perspective. J Biomed Educ. 2013:1-3.
- Yeung M., Nuth J., Stiell IG. Mentoring in emergency medicine: the art and the evidence. CJEM. 2010;12(2):143-149.
- Madhuri SK, Ujiwala JK, Yashashrii S, Deshmukh YA, Patil DY. Mentoring for medical students. Current Res J Soc Sci. 2010;2(3):187-190.
- Okereke E., Tukur J., Ogini AB., Obonyo B. Evaluating health workers knowledge following the introduction of clinical mentoring in Jigawa State, Northern Nigeria. Afri J Rep Health. 2015;19(3):118-125.
- Zayyan MS, Madugu HN, Ameh N, Oguntayo OA, Adesiyun AG, Saad AA. Acceptability of clinical teaching by mentorship among medical students in Nigeria. Arch Int Surg. 2016;6:195-200.
- Nimmons D, Giny S, Rosenthal J. Medical student mentoring programs: current insights. Advances in Medical Education and Practice. 2019;10:113-123.
- Stamm M, Buddeberg-Fischer B. The impact of mentoring during postgraduate training on doctors’ career success. Med Educ. 2011;45:488-496.
- Obayemi E, Quartey ET, Tettey E, Acqhan M, Benneh A, Osafor Y, et al. An exploratory study of mentoring in residency training at a Ghanaian teaching hospital. Int J Modern Educ Res. 2014;1(3):48-52.
- Ohanchani S, Chang D, Ong JSL, Anwar A. The value of peer mentoring for the psychosocial wellbeing of junior doctors: a randomized control study. MJA. 2018;209(9):401-405.
- Harrison R, Anderson J, Laloe P, Santilo M, Lawton R, Wright J. Mentorship for newly appointed consultants: what makes it work. Postgrad Med J. 2014;90:439-445.
- Kukreja NC, Kaur A, Arora R, Singh T. Introducing mentoring to first year medical students of a private medical college in North India: a pilot study. Int J App Basic Med Res. 2017;7:s67-s77.
- Scott SE, Cook S, Farmet A, Kim SK, Pomfret RW, Samardzick K, et al. The rising physicians program novel approach for mentoring medical students. Military Med. 2019;184:e164-e167.
- Iloh GUP, Chukwuonye ME, Onya ON, Godswill-Uko EU. Mentoring in a resource – constrained cross-sectional study of the prevalence, benefits, barriers and predictors among post-graduate medical college Fellows and members in South-Eastern Nigeria. Nig Postgrad Med J. 2019;26:38-44.
- Lau C, Ford J, Vanlieshout R, Saperson K, McConnell M, McCarbe R. Enhancing mentorship in psychiatry and health sciences: a study investigating needs and preferences in the development of a mentoring program. Multidisciplinary Scientific J. 2018;1:8-18.
- Garr RO, Dewe P. A qualitative study of mentoring and career progression among junior medical doctors. Inter J Med Educ. 2013;4:247-252.