Pattern of ovarian cyst accidents in a Tertiary Hospital in Niger-Delta, Nigeria: A 4-year retrospective review
Mbooh RT1, Makinde OI1, Ozori ES1*
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Ebiogbo S. Ozori; +234 8065876000; E-mail: email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Ovarian cyst accidents constitute about 3 % to 5 % of gynecological emergencies and can be associated with significant morbidity. An appraisal of ovarian cysts accidents will help optimize patient management.
Objectives: To describe the pattern of presentation of ovarian cyst accidents at the Federal Medical Centre Yenagoa Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
Materials and Methods: A retrospective review of all cases of emergency laparotomies done for ovarian cyst accidents at the Obstetrics and Gynaecology department of the Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa was undertaken from 1st July 2015 to 30th June 2019. Data on patient’s socio-demographic characteristics, symptomatology, significant investigation results, findings at laparotomy and histology were extracted. The data were analyzed using IBM SPSS version 25.0. Frequencies and percentages of categorical variables were determined and results presented in tables.
Results: Ovarian cyst accidents accounted for 5.9 % (n=43) of emergency laparotomies (n=729) in the facility during the study period. Patient’s age ranged between 16–45 years with a mean age of 27.5 ± 6.4 years. Majority (30.2 %) of the women were in the 26–30 years age group. Most (69.8 %) of them were multiparous. All presented with lower abdominal pain and over 70% had an abdomino-pelvic mass. About two third (66 %) had the cyst on the right. Mean diameter of cysts was 9.5 ± 4.2 cm. Cystectomy was done in 86.0 %, 14.0 % had ovariectomy and histology showed benign cyst in 100 % of the cases.
Conclusion: All the cases of ovarian cyst accidents occurred in women of reproductive age and were from benign ovarian cysts. Most of the patients were multiparous and ovarian cystectomy was done in most cases.
Keywords: Ovarian cyst, Ovarian cyst accidents, Laparoscopy, Laparotomy, Histology, Reproductive age.
Cite this article: Mbooh RT, Makinde OI, Ozori ES. Pattern of ovarian cyst accidents in a Tertiary Hospital in Niger-Delta, Nigeria: A 4-year retrospective review. Yen Med J. 2021;3(3):183–186.
- Forae GD, Aligbe JU. A histopathological overview of ovarian lesions in Benin city, Nigeria: How common are the functional cysts? Int J Med Public Health. 2014;4:265-268.
- Abduljabbar HS, Bukhari YA, Al Hachim EG, Alshour GS, Amer AA, Shaikhoon MM, et al. Review of 244 cases of ovarian cysts. Saudi Med J. 2015;36:834-838.
- Mobeen S, Apostol R. Ovarian Cyst. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing; 2021. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK560541/. Updated July 8 2020. Accessed July 8, 2021.
- American Cancer Society medical and editorial content team. Ovarian cancer risk factors. American Cancer Society. Available from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovarian-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/risk-factors.html. Updated January 26, 2021. Accessed July 8, 2021.
- Ekweani J C, Oguntayo A, Kolawole A, Zayyan M. An 8-year review of ovarian cyst accidents at a tertiary health center in Northwestern Nigeria. Trop J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016;33:307-309.
- Sorinola O, Cox C. Accidents of ovarian cysts. Obstet Gynaecol. 2002;4(1):10–14.
- Mishra J. Accidents to ovarian cysts. J Univers Coll Med Sci. 2013;1(2):46-53.
- Zahra F. Pattern of benign ovarian cysts in Qatari women. Qatar Med J. 2017;2016(2):17.
- Zeleke S, Shiferaw N, Lukman Y. Adnexal torsion a five-years retrospective review in two hospitals. Ethiop med j. 2014;52(4): 155-164.
- Alobaid A, Memon A, Alobaid S, Aldakhil L. Laparoscopic Management of Huge Ovarian Cysts. Obstet Gynecol Int. 2013;2013:Article ID 380854.
- Shindholimath VV, Jyoti SG, Patil KV, Ammanagi AS. Laparoscopic management of large ovarian cysts at a rural hospital. J Gynecol Endosc Surg. 2009;1(2):94-97.
- Grabosch SM, Helm CW. Ovarian cysts treatment and management. Medscape. Available from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/255865-treatment. Updated December 20, 2018. Accessed June 25, 2021.
- Bowers SP, Hunter JG. Contraindications to Laparoscopy. In: Whelan RL, Fleshman JW, Fowler DL, eds. The Sages Manual. New York, NY: Springer; 2006:25-32.
- Oelsner G, Cohen SB, Soriano D, Admon D, Mashiach S, Carp H, et al. Minimal surgery for the twisted ischaemic adnexa can preserve ovarian function. Hum Reprod. 2003;18(12):2599–2602.
- Huang C, Hong MK, Ding DC. A review of ovary torsion. Ci Ji Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;29(3):143-147.
- Knudsen UB, Tabor A, Mosgaard B, Andersen ES, Kjer JJ, Hahn-Pedersen S, et al. Management of ovarian cysts. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2004;83(11):1012-1021.
- Manivasakan J, Arounassalame B. A study of benign adnexal masses. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2012;1(1):12–16.