Prevalence of traumatic dental injury among dental patients presenting at a secondary healthcare facility in Southern Nigeria: a five-year retrospective study.
Osadolor AJ1*, Ekariama A1, Oyibo AI1, Osadolor OO2, Omorodion GI3
1Department of Dentistry, Central Hospital Oleh, Delta State, Nigeria.
2Department of Child Dental Health, University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku-Ozalla, Enugu State, Nigeria.
3Dental Centre, Central Hospital Benin, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Osadolor AJ; +234 701 391 9301; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Traumatic injuries not only pose a health risk worldwide, but are also regarded among serious social problems. Injuries of dental origin (TDI) continue to be a cause of great concern among children, adolescents and adults.
Objective: To determine the prevalence of TDI among patients presenting at a secondary healthcare facility in Southern-Nigeria.
Materials and Method: A 5-year retrospective study was conducted at the dental department, Central Hospital Oleh, Oleh, Delta State. Variables of interest which included age, gender, marital status, TDI environment, aetiology of TDI, categories/primary diagnoses of TDI, number of traumatised teeth and tooth type were collected from the case records. The obtained data were subjected to descriptive statistics in the form of frequencies, cross-tabulations, and percentages using IBM® SPSS® Statistics version 25 software.
Results: A total of 857 cases containing the variables of interest were retrieved from the hospital records. The mean age of patients was 39.04 years, 478 (55.8%) patients were female, with a mean age of 37.87 years meanwhile, 379 (44.2%) were male with a mean age of 39.97 years. The majority of patients were TDI free n = 635 (74.1%) giving a TDI prevalence of 25.9%.
Conclusion: Data from this study revealed that the prevalence of TDI was 25.9%. Adults were more commonly affected by TDI than children or the elderly, biting on something hard during chewing was a major contributor to the TDI prevalence.
Keywords: Traumatic Dental Injury, Prevalence of TDI, Dental patients, Healthcare and Southern Nigeria.
Cite this article: Osadolor AJ, Ekariama A, Oyibo AI, Osadolor OO, Omorodion GI. Prevalence of traumatic dental injury among dental patients presenting at a secondary healthcare facility in Southern Nigeria: a five-year retrospective study. Yen Med J. 2021;3(1):75–82.
- Azami-Aghdash S, Ebadifard Azar F, Pournaghi Azar F. Prevalence, etiology, and types of dental trauma in children and adolescents: systematic review and meta-analysis. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2015;29(4):234-239.
- Enabulele J, Oginni A, Sede M, Oginni F. Pattern of traumatised anterior teeth among adult Nigerians and complications from late presentation. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9(1):1-6.
- Ogordi, PU, Ize-Iyamu IN, Adeniyi EO. Prevalence of traumatic dental injury to the anterior teeth in children attending paramilitary and non-paramilitary schools in Nigeria. Ann Afr Med. 2019;18:80-85.
- Petersson EE, Andersson L, Sörensen S. Traumatic oral vs. non-oral injuries. Swed Dent J. 1997;21:55-68.
- Glendor U, Andersson L. Public health aspects of oral diseases and disorders: Dental trauma. In: Pine C, Harris R, editors. Community Oral Health. London: Quintessence Publishing; 2007:203-211.
- Alexander M, Kida IA. Traumatic dental injuries and their management among children aged 6 -12 years in Dar es salaam, Tanzania. Tanz Dent J. 2005;12:1-5.
- Prasad S, Tandon S, Pahuja M, Wadhawan A. Prevalence of Traumatic Dental Injuries among School Going Children In Farukhnagar, District Gurgaon. Int J Sci Stud. 2014;2(2):44-49.
- Gupta S, Kumar-Jindal S, Bansal M, Singla A. Prevalence of traumatic dental injuries and role of incisal overjet and inadequate lip coverage as risk factors among 4-15 years old government school children in Baddi Barotiwala Area, Himachal Pradesh, India. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2011 Nov 1;16 (7):e960-e96
- Zengin AZ, Celenk P, Sumer AP, Cankaya S. Evaluation of traumatic dental injuries in a group of Turkish population. Niger J Clin Pract. 2015;18:86-89.
- Rambharos RR, Kalaskar AR, Wankhade RM, Mehta JD. Evaluation of prevalence, etiological and risk factors of traumatic dental injury in 12-14 years old school going children of Central India. SRM J Res Dent Sci. 2014;5:73-77.
- Ajayi DM, Abiodun Solanke IM, Sulaiman AO, Ekhalufoh EF. A retrospective study of traumatic injuries to teeth at a Nigerian tertiary hospital. Niger J Clin Pract. 2012;15:320-325.
- Enabulele JE, Mohammed BE. Socio-Demographic Distribution of Adult Patients who Seek Oral Health Treatment Following Trauma to Anterior Teeth J Trauma Care. 2017; 3(1):1017-1024.
- Marchiori, EC, Santos SE, Asprino L, de Moraes M, Moreira RW. Occurrence of dental avulsion and associated injuries in patients with facial trauma over a 9-year period. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;7:7-12.
- Garbin CA, Guimaraese Queiroz AP , Rovida TA, Garbin AJ. Occurrence of traumatic dental injury in cases of domestic violence. Braz Dent J. 2012;23(1):72–76.
- Traebert J. Accidents, sports, and physical leisure activities are the most frequent causes of traumatic dental injury and the rate of pulp necrosis is high following its occurrence in Pilsen, The Czech Republic. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2011;11(2):102–104.
- Thoren H, Numminen L, Snall J , Kormi E, Lindqvist C, Iizuka T. et al. Occurrence and types of dental injuries among patients with maxillofacial fractures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010;39(8):774–778.
- Huang B, Marcenes W, Croucher R, Hector M. Activities related to the occurrence of traumatic dental injuries in 15- to 18-year-olds. Dent Traumatol. 2009;25(1):64–68.
- Osadolor OO. Trauma to Anterior Teeth in a Nigerian Tertiary Health Facility. Int J Applied Dent Sci. 2019;5(3):71-74.
- Locker D. Prevalence of traumatic dental injury in grade 8 children in six Ontario communities. Can J Pub Health. 2005;1:73–76.
- Taiwo OO, Jalo HP. Dental Injuries in 12-year old Nigerian students. Dent Traumatol. 2011;27:230-234.
- Piponsuhu RA, Agbaje MO, Osisanya MO, Oyapero A. Pattern and treatment needs of traumatized anterior permanent teeth in a sub-urban area in Lagos State. Edorium J Dent. 2016;3:54–62.
- Krishna A, Malur MH, Swapna DV, Benjamin S, Deepak CA. Traumatic dental injury-an enigma for adolescents: a series of case reports. Case Rep Dent. 2012;756526(10):7-13.
- Shrestha D, Upadhyay S. Pattern of Traumatic Dental Injuries and associated Risk Factors: A Hospital-based Study. Orthod J Nepal. 2018;8(1):40-44.
- Jabbar NS, Aldrigui JM, Braga MM, Wanderley MT. Pulp polyp in traumatized primary teeth – a case-control study. Dent Traumatol. 2012;20(10):12019-12024.
- Adekoya-Sofowora CA. Traumatized anterior teeth in children: a review of the literature. Niger J Med. 2001;10(4):151-157.
- Kahabuka FK, Willemsen W, van ‘t Hof M, Ntabaye MK, Plasschaert A, Frankenmolen F, et al. Oro-dental injuries and their management among children and adolescents in Tanzania. East Afr Med J. 1999;76(3):160-162.
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Oleh, Delta. Wikimedia Foundation Inc. 2020; Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleh,_Delta. Accessed August 13, 2020.
- Ellis RG, Davey KW. The classification and treatment of injuries to the teeth of children. 5th Chicago: Mosby; 1970.
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Le Fort fracture of the skull. Wikimedia Foundation Inc. 2020; Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Fort_fracture_of_skull#cite_note-Allsop02-1. Accessed August 13, 2020.
- Agbelusi GA, Jeboda SO. Traumatic fracture of anterior teeth in 12-year old Nigerian children. Odontostomatol Trop. 2005;28:23-27.
- Otuyemi OD. Traumatic anterior dental injuries related to incisor overjet and lip competence in 12-year-old Nigerian children. Int J Paediatr Dent. 1994;4:81-85.
- Adekoya-Sofowora CA, Adesina OA, Nasir WO, Oginni AO, Ugboko VI. Prevalence and causes of fractured permanent incisors in 12-year-old suburban Nigerian school children. Dent Traumatol. 2009;25:314-317.
- Hegde R, Agrawal G. Prevalence of traumatic dental injuries to the permanent anterior teeth among 9- to 14-year-old schoolchildren of Navi Mumbai (Kharghar-Belapur Region), India. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2017;10:177-182.
- Tümen EC, Yavuz İ, Kaya S, Uysal E, Tümen DS, Ay Y, et al. Prevalence of traumatic dental injuries and associated factors among 8 to 12-years-old schoolchildren in Diyarbakir, Turkey. Niger J Clin 2017;20:1259-1266.
- Sulieman A, Awooda E. Prevalence of Anterior Dental Trauma and Its Associated Factors among Preschool Children Aged 3–5 Years in Khartoum City, Sudan. Int J Dent. 2018;1-5.
- Kallel I, Kallel I, Douki N. Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries in Tunisia: A prospective study. Afr J Trauma. 2015;4:51-56.
- Naidoo S, Sheiham A, Tsakos G. Traumatic dental injuries of permanent incisors in 11- to 13-year-old South African schoolchildren. Dent Traumatol. 2009;25:224-228.