Sliding indirect inguinal hernia in an adult female Nigerian in a rural setting: A case report.
Kpuduwei SPK1*, Bukata P1, Opobio P1
1Department of Surgery, Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr Kpuduwei, Selekeowei PK +234-8035382152; firstname.lastname@example.org
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Sliding hernia is a protrusion of a retroperitoneal organ alongside an adjacent peritoneal sac. Sliding hernias are rare occurrences in our environment and are often associated with long standing history of herniation, widened internal ring, recorded only in female children and adult males. The aim is to report a rare occurrence of a sliding indirect inguinal hernia in an adult female.
Case Presentation: We report a case of 40-year-old female Nigerian rural dweller that presented with left sided sliding indirect inguinal hernia involving the colon with co-existing right sided indirect inguinal hernia for which, she had Lichtenstein’s hernioplasty bilaterally.
Conclusion: A good knowledge of the surgical anatomy of the inguinal region is key in the timely identification of unusual intra-operative findings and make decision accordingly to avoid surgical mishap.
Keywords: Sliding hernia, Rural, Retroperitoneal organ, Hernia sac, Anatomy.
Cite this article: Kpuduwei SPK, Bukata P, Opobio P. Sliding indirect inguinal hernia in an adult female Nigerian in a rural setting: A case report. Yen Med J. 2020;2(2):93–95.
- Shamim M, Bano S, Igbal SA. Pattern of cases and its management in general surgery unit of a rural teaching hospital institution. J Pak Med Assoc. 2012; 62(2):148-153.
- LeBlanc KE, LeBlanc LL, LeBlanc KA. Inguinal hernias: diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2013;87(12):844-848.
- Komorowski AL, Usero DD, Rodil JR, Moran-Rodriguez J. Sliding inguinal hernias. In: Canonico S, ed. Inguinal Hernia. London, UK: IntechOpen; 2014. https://dx.doi.org/10.5772/58223. Accessed March 31, 2020.
- Bendavid R. Sliding hernias. Hernia 2002;6(3):137–140.
- Komorowski AL, Moran-Rodriguez J, Kazi R, Wysocki WM. Sliding inguinal hernias. Int J Surg. 2012;10(4):206-208.
- Gaspar MR, Joergenson EJ, Woolley MM. Sliding indirect inguinal hernia. Calif Med. 1956;85(5):330-334.
- Levine J. Sliding hernias. Yumpu. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/39376838/sliding-hernias. Accessed April 3, 2020.
- Agu TC. A case report of unrecognized iatrogenic bladder injury during repair of misdiagnosed sliding inguinal hernia: tips and tricks in the management. IOSR-JDMS. 2016;15(9):112-115.
- Ogwuche EI, Soo CT, Animashaun AE, Ochoga M. Obstructed left Amyand’s hernia in a seven-month male infant with meatal stenosis: case report and review of literature. J Biomed Res. Clin Pract. 2019;2(2):150-154.
- Ponka JL. Surgical management of large bilateral indirect sliding inguinal hernias. Am J Surg. 1996;112(1):52-57.
- Onuigbo WI, Njeze GE. Inguinal hernia. A review. J Surg Oper Care. 2016 Jan 25;1(2):202.
- Fitzgibbons RJ, Richards AT, Quinn TH. Open hernia repair. In: Souba WS, Mitchell P, Fink MP, Jurkovich GJ, Kaiser LR, Pearce WH, Pemberton JH, et al, eds. ACS Surgery: Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Decker Publishing Inc; 2002:828-849.
- Adams RA, Wysocki AP. Outcome of sliding inguinal hernia repair. Hernia. 2010;14(1):47-49.
- Vagholkar K, Iyengar M, Vagholkar S. Inguinal hernia in females: do we know enough? Int Surg J. 2016;3(1):354-356.
- Ayandipo OO, Afuwape OO, Irabor DO, Abdurrazzaaq AI. Adult Abdominal Wall Hernia in Ibadan. Ann Ib Postgrad Med. 2015;13(2):94-99.
- Arowolo OA, Agbakwuru EA, Adisa AO, Lawal OO, Ibrahim MH, Afolabi AI. Evaluation of Tension-Free Mesh Inguinal Hernia Repair in Nigeria: A Preliminary Report. West Afr J Med. 2011;30(2):110-113.
- Ezeome ER, Nwajiobi CE. Challenges in the repair of large abdominal wall hernias in Nigeria: review of available options in resource limited environments. Niger J Clin Pract. 2010;13(2):167-172