Spectrum of endo-urological procedures performed at a Nigerian kidney transplant centre
Igbokwe Martin1*, Abu Sadiq1, Aremu Abayomi1, Olatise Olalekan2, Okafor Monica1
1Urology Division, Zenith Medical and Kidney Centre, Abuja, Nigeria.
2Nephrology Unit, Zenith Medical and Kidney Centre, Abuja, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Igbokwe Martin; +234 803 402 4229; email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Download full article in pdf format
Background: The practice of endo-urology has become a significant component and standard for urological care worldwide. Using minimal access and miniaturized instruments, complex procedures can be safely executed with reduced morbidity and overall patient satisfaction. Kidney transplantation (KT) remains the gold-standard for renal replacement therapy for patients with chronic kidney disease and its practice in sub-Saharan Africa and Nigeria has been on the rise in the past decade. KT programs must be adequately equipped for endo-urological services as they are crucial to the pre- and post-transplant care of these patients.
Objective: To determine the spectrum of endo-urological procedures carried out at a Nigerian kidney transplant centre.
Materials and Methods: A retrospective review of all endo-urological procedures carried out between January 2019 and June 2020 (18 months) was done. Data were analysed using SPSS version 23.
Results: Diagnostic cystoscopies (9, 3.5%), cystoscopy with the removal of double J stents (183, 71.8%), trans-urethral resection of the prostate (20, 7.8%) and stone surgeries (21, 8.3%) accounted for a significant proportion of endo-urological surgeries performed during this period. A significant majority of these procedures were performed on post-transplant patients.
Conclusion: There is a need for endo-urological treatment of both pre- and post-kidney transplant patients in every kidney transplant program. The modern urologist must possess this skill-set to align with the ever-changing medical trends and provide patients with the best possible outcome.
Keywords: Endo-urology, Kidney transplantation, Sub-Saharan Africa, Nigeria.
Yen Med J. 2020;2(4):74 – 79.
Cite this article: Igbokwe M, Abu S, Aremu A, Olatise O, Okafor M. Spectrum of endo-urological procedures performed at a Nigerian kidney transplant centre. Yen Med J. 2020;2(4):74 – 79.
- Bush RB, Leonhardt H, Bush IM, Landes RR. Dr. Bozzini’s Lichtleiter. Urology. 1974;3(1):119-23.
- Eziyi AK, Eziyi JAE, Salako AA, Aderounmu AOA. Early experience with endourology at Ladoke Akintola University of Technology teaching hospital, Osogbo. Niger J Clin Pract. 2010;13(1):24.
- Salako AA, Badmus TA, Sowande OA, Adeyemi BA, Nasir AA, Adejuyigbe OA. Endourology in a Nigerian tertiary hospital—current level of practice and challenges. Niger J Surg Res. 2005;7(3&4):268-270.
- Takure AO, Shittu OB, Adebayo SA, Olapade-Olaopa EO, Okeke LI. Day case endourology in surgical outpatient clinic at Ibadan: A 5-year review. African J Urol. 2012;18(3):112–117.
- Alabi TO, Jeje EA, Ogunjimi MA, Ojewola RW. Endoscopic management of ureteric stones: Our initial experience. Niger J Surg. 2019;25(1):26-29.
- Salako AA, Badmus TA, Igbokwe MC, et al. Experience with arteriovenous fistula creation for maintenance hemodialysis in a tertiary hospital in South-Western Nigeria. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2018;29(4):924-929.
- Harraz AM, Kamal AI, Shokeir AA. Urolithiasis in renal transplant donors and recipients: An update. Int J Surg. 2016;36(Pt D):693-697.
- Sarma A V. Jacobson DJ, McGree ME, Roberts RO, Lieber MM, Jacobsen SJ. A population-based study of incidence and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia among residents of Olmsted County, Minnesota.1987 to 1997. J Urol. 2005;173(6):2048-2053.
- Liman HM,Makusidi MA,Sakaiki AM. Kidney transplant –related medical tourism in patients with end –stage renal disease:A report from a renal center in a developing nation. Sahel Med J. 2020;23(1):7-11.
- Adejumo OA, Akinbodewa AA, Okaka EI, Abolarin OS. Obstructive Nephropathy in a Kidney Care Hospital in Southwest Nigeria: The need for early screening and prevention. J Med Trop. 2017;19(2):98-103.
- Amoako YA, Laryea DO, Bedu-Addo G, Andoh H, Awuku YA. Clinical and demographic characteristics of chronic kidney disease patients in a tertiary facility in Ghana. Pan Afr Med J. 2014;18:274.
- SalmanM, Amer HK, Azreen SM, Syed AS Sulaiman KH, Shehzad N et al. Attributable causes of chronic kidney disease in adults: a five-year retrospective study in a tertiary-care hospital in the northeast of the Malaysian Peninsula. Sao Paulo Med J. 2015;133(6):502-509.
- Hurst FP, Robert TF, Edward MF, Rahul M Jindal, Krista LL,John SS. Incidence, predictors, and associated outcomes of prostatism after kidney transplantation. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;4(2):329-336
- VolpeA, Billia M, Quaglia M, Vidali M, Marchioro G, Ceratti G et al. Transurethral resection of the prostate in kidney transplant recipients: urological and renal functional outcomes at long-term follow-up. BJU Int. 2013;112(3):386-393
- Sarier M, Tekin S, Yuksel Y, Demir M, Alptekinkaya F. Results of transurethral resection of the prostate in renal transplant recipients: a single center experience. World J Urol. 2018; 36(1):99-103.
- Markić D, Krpina K, Ahel J, Gršković A, Španjol J, Rubinić N et al. Treatment of Kidney Stone in a Kidney-Transplanted Patient with Mini-Percutaneous Laser Lithotripsy: A Case Report. Case Rep Nephrol Dial. 2016;6(1):26-31.
- Gupta N,Raina P, Kumar Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy. J Minim Access Surg. 2005; 1(4):155–164.
- SienaG, Vignolini G, Mari A, Li Marzi V, Caroassai S, Giancane S. Full Robot-Assisted Living Donor Nephrectomy and Kidney Transplantation in a Twin Dedicated Operating Room: Initial Experience From a High-Volume Robotic Center. Surg Innov. 2019;26(4):449-455.
- Gratzke C, Pahde A., Dickmann M, Reich O, Seitz M, Jauchet K al. Predictive factors for urinary retention following kidney transplantation in male patients. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2012; 46(1):44-47.
- Shenasky JH. Renal transplantation in patients with urologic abnormalities. J Urol. 1976; 115(5):490-493.
- Reinberg Y, Manivel JC, Sidi AA, Ercole CJ. Transurethral resection of prostate immediately after renal transplantation. Urology. 1992;39(4):319-321.
- Ergesi B, Winkler Y, Kistler T, Grimm M, John H, Horstmann. Prevalence and Management of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Related to Benign Prostatic Obstruction in a Contemporary Series of Renal Transplant Recipients. Nephro urol. 2016;8(2):e3549.
- Kurien A,Baishya R, Mishra S, Ganpule A, Muthu V, Sabnis R, et al. The Impact of Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. J Endourol. 2009; 23(9):1403-1407.
- Gipson MG. Percutaneous management of lymphoceles after renal transplantation. Semin Intervent Radiol. 2013;30(2):215–218