Study of phytochemical compositions and separation of colours using thin layer column chromatography for Bixa orellana (annatto) seed extracts.
Okorie N1*, Fasogbon SA2, Mohammed U3, Abubakar U3, Avwioro OG3, Tsamiya RI3, Mohammed MO3, Tangaza AT3
1Ebonyi State University, Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Medical Laboratory Science, Ebonyi State, Nigeria.
2Public health in-vitro Diagnostic Control Laboratory, Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria, Lagos, Nigeria.
3Usmanu Danfodiyo University, School of Medical Laboratory Science, Department of Histopathology, Sokoto, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Okorie Nnaemeka; +234 808 598 1168; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Bixa orellana is known to be the only specie of Bixaceae family and is used in Africa for painting the lips by young ladies to attract males and beautiﬁcation during the annual cultural festival of Iri ji (new yam festival) of Ugwu Odida people in Onicha Igbeze. Its use was also reported in South America for production of cosmetics and as a colourant in food industries. Recently, it has been observed that the Bixa plant commonly known as Annatto or Apo stain among Medical laboratory scientists is gradually becoming an ornamental shrub in institutions of learning and homes among others in Nigeria.
Objective: To carry out phytochemical analysis and thin layer column chromatography of Bixa orellana (Annatto) seed extracts.
Materials and Methods: The seeds of Bixa orellana were extracted in distilled water, absolute ethanol, acetone, Ammonia, and xylene using maceration methods. Phytochemical analysis was carried out and the fractions of the extracts were determined using Thin Layer Column Chromatography to obtain the diﬀerent colour components of the eluents used for staining.
Results: The result of Phytochemical analysis was found to show the presence of Carbohydrate Saponins, Cardiac glycosides, Anthraquinones, Flavonoids, Tannins, Steroid and Alkaloids. The results of chromatography fraction procedure were shown and the colours obtained were as follow: Deep red, Light orange, Red and Golden.
Keywords: Bixa orellana, Phytochemical, Chromatography, Extracts.
Cite this article: Okorie N, Fasogbon SA, Mohammed U, Abubakar U, Avwioro OG, Tsamiya RI, et al. Study of phytochemical compositions and separation of colours using thin layer column chromatography for Bixa orellana (annatto) seed extracts. Yen Med J. 2020;2(1):43-49.
- Joly AB, ed. Botanica Introducao a taxonomia vegetal. 6th ed. Sao Paulo, Brazil: Nacional; 1983.
- Nguyen PM. Different factors influencing to annatto dye extraction in Bixa orellana seeds. Int J Multidiscip Res Dev. 2014;1(5):81–84.
- Dolores JY, María TM, Ivan LV, Antonio FB, Vicente-Palomino S, Fuster-López L. Arché. Publicación del instituto universitario de restauración del Patrimonio de la-Núm. 2008;3:154–158.
- Silva GF, Gamarra FMC, Oliveira AL, Cabral FA. Extraction of bixin from annatto seeds using supercritical carbon dioxide. B J Chem Eng. 2008;25:419–426.
- Sangeeta S, Manasi M, Chetna S, Suresh K, Murthy SN. Comparative phytochemical screening of qualitative and quantitative parameters of Bixa orellana. World J Pharm Sci. 2015;4(12):1001–1017.
- James S. Annatto Extracts. Chemical and Technical Assessment Manual 2006. Available from: http://www.fao.org/3/a-at973e.pdf. Accessed December 21, 2019.
- Bele AA, Khale A. An Overview on Thin Layer Chromatography. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2011;2(2):256 – 267.
- Mital P, Mandev P, Khomendra S, Anil B. Isolation and Antimicrobial Evaluation of Bixa Orellana and Linum usitatissimum. RRJMB. 2013;2(2):4–10