The clinical significance of antibodies to extractable nuclear antigens in patients with syphilis.
Zhou J1*, Li Y2, Hu S1, Kong C3
1Medical Laboratory, Affiliated Hospital of Jining Medical University, Jining, P.R. China.
2 Medical College, Jining Medical University, Jining, P.R. China.
3Nursing Department, Affiliated Hospital of Jining Medical University, Jining, P.R. China.
*Correspondence: Jianwei Zhou; +86-537-2903218; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: To date, the pathogenic mechanism of Treponema pallidum (TP), the pathogen that causes syphilis remains unclear. Recently, some scholars found that the progression of syphilis infection probably relates to the production of autoantibodies stimulated by TP.
Objective: To determine and compare the presence of serum antibodies to extractable nuclear antigens (ENAs-Ab) between patients with syphilis and healthy controls who do not have syphilis.
Materials and Method: This study was a descriptive comparative study carried out between January 2014 and December 2015 at the Affiliated Hospital of Jining Medical University, Jining, P.R. China; 220 patients with Treponema pallidum particle agglutination assay (TPPA) – confirmed syphilis were included and another 220 healthy persons who were TPPA-negative were included as the controls. Presence of ENAs-Ab (detected by immunoblotting method) were compared in both groups. Differences in presence of ENAs-Ab in patients with syphilis by gender, age and Toluidine Red Unheated Serum Test (TRUST) result was also determined. Statistical significance was pValue <0.05.
Results: Among the patients with syphilis, antibodies to Sjögren’s Syndrome antigen A (SSA), Ro/SSA antigen of 52 000 Molecular Weight (Ro-52), double stranded deoxyribonucleic acid (dsDNA), proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA), Ribosomal P protein (Po) and Sjögren’s Syndrome antigen B (SSB) were present in 10.9%, 16.8%, 4.0%, 7.2%, 3.2% and 7.7% respectively. Significantly higher number of patients with syphilis had ENAs-Ab compared to healthy controls (P<0.05). There was no significant difference in the number of TRUST-positive and TRUST-negative patients who had ENAs-Ab (P>0.05). Significantly more females than males with syphilis had antibodies to SSA, Ro-52 and SSB (P<0.05). The 4 most common ENAs-Ab detected were found more in patients over 45 years with syphilis.
Conclusion: Syphilis infection appears to trigger an autoimmune response and ENAs-Ab may be a suitable clinical index to monitor progression of infection.
Keywords: Treponema pallidum, Autoantibody, Extractable nuclear antigens, Toluidine Red Unheated Serum Test.
Cite this article: Zhou J, Li Y, Hu S, Kong C. The clinical significance of antibodies to extractable nuclear antigens in patients with syphilis. Yen Med J. 2021;3(2):135–138.
- Wu SH, Zhou HQ, Qiu XJ. The clinical manifestation of anticardiolipin antibody and autoimmune antibody in the population with syphilis. China Nat Med Fro. 2013;8(4):82-83.
- Zhu HW, Zhou WM, Guo Q, Yang Y. Analysis of sera antinuclear antibody and anticardiolipin antibody of 500 patients with syphilis. Lab Med Clin. 2013;10(8):2410-2411.
- Liu SQ, Wang SP, Wu YM, Zhao FJ, Zeng TB, Zhang YJ, et al. Production of proinflammatory cytokines through induction of the human monocytic cell THP-1 by Tp2751 recombinant protein of Treponema pallidum. Sci China Life Sci. 2010;40:48-54.
- Brinkman MB, Mc Gill MA, Pttersson J, Rogers A, Matejková P, Smajs D,et al. A novel Treponeuma palllidum antigen, TP0316, is an outer membrane protein that binds human fibronectin. Infect Immun. 2008;76(5):1848-1857.
- Zhang HP, Ren RX, Lai DH, Lian S. Anticardiolipin antibody in diagnosing syphilis. Chin J Dermatol. 2013;27(5):482-484.
- Ma CJ, Lin Y, Xia WY, Ni F. Analysis of sera anticardiolipin antibody of the patients with infection of Treponema pallidum. Int J Lab Med. 2012;33(17):2150-2151.
- Feng JK, Ma DY, Jiang ZD, Chen SF, Chen J, Jin WW. Detection and significance of sera antinuclear antibody of the patients with syphilis. Contemp Med. 2011;17(33):5-6.
- Cai SJ, Zhou JW, Yang YJ, Zhang ZC, Kong C, Shen AH. Detection of serum antinuclear antibody of the elderly patients with syphilis and its clinical significance. Chin J Health Lab Technol. 2016;26(1):64-65.
- Auqenbraun M, French A, Glesby M, Sanchez-Keeland L, Young M, Greenblatt R, et al. Hepatitis C virus infection and biological false positive syphilis tests. Sex Transm Infect. 2010;86(2):97-98.
- Men K, Wei DJ, Li LY, Cheng Y. Analysis of antinuclear antibody and ENA antibody detection results in 286 healthy veteran cadres in Tianjin. Chin J Health Lab Technol. 2014;24(1):114-116