The effect of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide on the duration of labour in term parturients in Yenagoa: A randomized double-blind, control study.
Okoye CN1*, Omietimi JE1, Jeremiah I2
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Federal Medical Centre Yenagoa, Nigeria.
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Amassoma, Nigeria.
*Correspondence: Dr. Okoye CN; +234 803 676 7195; email@example.com
Download full article in pdf format
Background: Hyoscine-N-butyl bromide (HBB) is a quaternary ammonium derivative, which exerts a spasmolytic action on the smooth muscle of the gastrointestinal, biliary, and genitourinary tracts. Its spasmolytic action on the cervix can enhance cervical dilatation and prevent prolonged labour.
Objective: To determine the eﬀect of Hyoscine-N-butyl bromide on the dura on of labour in parturients in Yenagoa.
Materials and Methods: This was a randomized, double-blind, controlled study involving 144 parturients who received either intravenous hyoscine–N-butyl bromide (20 mg in 1 ml; n=72) or intravenous normal saline (1 ml, n = 72). The mean duration of the stages of labour were compared between the two groups. Cervical dilatation rate, duration of the ﬁrst and second stages of labour was recorded. The neonatal outcome and drug adverse eﬀects were also compared.
Results: The cervical dilation rate in the test group was faster than that of the placebo group and the diﬀerence was statistically signiﬁcant (p < 0.00). The duration of the ﬁrst stage of labour was shorter (319.22±45.59 mins) in the test group than that of the ﬁrst stage of labour (345.03±42.67 mins) in the placebo group and the diﬀerence was statistically signiﬁcant. The duration of the injection delivery interval was shorter (353.54±49.37mins) in the test group than in the placebo group (380.14±51.79 mins) and this diﬀerence was statistically signiﬁcant (p<0.00). The duration of the second stage and third stages of labour did not show statistically signiﬁcant diﬀerence between groups and this remained so, even after the subjects were broken down by parity.
There was no statistically signiﬁcant diﬀerence between groups in terms of maternal adverse eﬀects and foetal response to the test drug.
Conclusion: Intravenous administration of 20 mg hyoscine–N-butyl bromide is safe for use in labour and has a role in reducing the duration of the ﬁrst stage and overall dura on of labour in nulliparous women.
Keywords: Hyoscine –N- butyl bromide, Labour, Neonatal outcome.
Cite this article: Okoye CN, Omietimi JE, Jeremiah I. The effect of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide on the duration of labour in term parturients in Yenagoa: A randomized double-blind, control study. Yen Med J. 2020;2(1):66-78.
- Cunninghams FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Hauth JC, Rouse DJ, Spong CY. Parturition. In: Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, USA: McGraw Hill; 2010:136–172.
- Orhue AA, Otubu JA. Prolonged labour. In: Agboola A, ed. Textbook of Obstetrics and Gynaecology for Medical Students. 2nd ed. Ibadan, Nigeria: Heinemann educational books; 2006:439 – 441.
- Stuart C, Christophe L. Obstetrics by Ten Teachers. 17th ed. London, UK: Arnold; 2000:115–123.
- O’Driscoll K, Jackson RJ, Gallagher JT. Prevention of prolonged labour. Br Med J. 1969;2(5655):477-480.
- O’Driscoll K, Stronge JM, Minogue M. Active management of labour. Br Med J. 1973;3(5872):135-137.
- Aziz M. Effect of rectal hyoscine butyl bromide suppository on first stage of labour. Intl J Adv Res. 2014; 2(4):128 – 135.
- Sreelatha S, Vedavathy N, Gayathri, Renuka R.A. study on the effect of hyoscine butyl bromide on the duration of labour. WJPR. 2015;4(10):2485–2491.
- Drug information: Buscopan. Ingelheim, Germany: Boehringer Ingelheim Limited. Revised 2005.
- Rohwer AC, Khondowe O, Young T. Antispasmodics for labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;5(6):CD009243.
- Whitley E, Ball J. Statistics Review 4: Sample size calculation. Crit. Care. 2002;6(4):335–341.
- Imaralu JO, Kuti O, Badejoko OO, Loto OM, Olaleye A. Effect of hyoscine butyl-bromide on the duration of active phase labour: A randomized-controlled trial. Taiwan J Obstet Gynaecol. 2017;56(6):725–730.
- Movahed F, Ghaleh TD, Lalooha F, Aziziyan S, Mashrabi O. Effect of hyoscine on first stage of labour in full term pregnancy. Res J Biol Sci. 2011;6(12):648–651.
- Kirim S, Asicioglu O, Yenigul N, Aydogen B, Bahat N, Bayrak M. Effect of intravenous hyoscine N- buytlbromide on active phase of labour progress; a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. J Matern fetal Neonatal Med. 2014;30:1–5.
- Sekhavat L, Karbasi SA, Fallah R, Mirowhai M. Effect of hyoscine butylbromide in first stage of labour in multiparous women. Afr Health Sci. 2012;12(4):408–411.
- Alani H, Salim RT. The effect of hyoscine –N- butylbromide on the duration of active phase of labour. Zanco J Med Sci. 2013;17(3):549–553